Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Driftless



Having grown up in nearby South Dakota, Danny Wilcox Frazier's views of life in Iowa, his home and unending provider of stories, is familiar. Similarly, South Dakota was my original subject, as I pieced together my relationship with friends, family, and the fields surrounding us. I first got excited about the craft when I realized I could use it as an excuse to meet random people, gain access; so I drove around the state doing just that when I was 19. I went back this winter for the first time in about ten years. The last time being when my Mom moved away, and the time before that when my childhood friend died. Should I ever goddamn get around to putting it all together, I can only hope that it approximates this tremendous work that DWF and the MediaStorm folks have put together. Tech questions, answered.